Library Design Matters! Reboot: The New Narrative
25 March 2021
Join us online for the first of three free 50 minute "webinets" from the IFLA Library Buildings and Equipment Section to inspire and stimulate ideas about new approaches to library design in challenging times.
Register today! A Zoom link will be sent to registered attendees the week before the event.
This timely webinet will present the views of three library leaders on the future of space design and library services.
Key Questions to be addressed by our speakers include:
- What do you see as the primary use of library physical space in the short term and the long term?
- What library services will be offered onsite and offsite and how does library space design feature in the delivery of such services? How does the library space respond to new demands?
- How is technology being deployed to replicate virtually library services previously provided face-to-face? Can technology replicate space?
- What are the personal challenges for library staff and clients? For you?
- What are the unexpected benefits of new ways of operating libraries?
- If you were to summarise in one sentence your learnings so far of new ways of designing library spaces and services during a pandemic, what would that be?
Join the webinar on 25 March 16:00 – 16:50 EDT (21:00 – 21:50 CET)
Check your timezone and save the date!
Carolyn Robertson, Libraries and Information Manager at Christchurch City Council in New Zealand, who will present a scenario of maintaining and developing community library services against the background of New Zealand’s successful elimination approach to managing the pandemic.
Cathal McCauley, University Librarian, Maynooth University, Ireland, Dublin, who will focus on the significance of reinvigorating and redeveloping library services in a disrupted environment while at the same time managing fluid services to the academic community in a constantly-changing environment.
Ton van Vlimmeren, recently retired as Director from the Utrecht Public Library, who with a wealth of experience in European libraries and PICA Library Network, will reflect on the past and look forward to the future.
Hosted by Janine Schmidt and Marian Morgan Bindon.
Last update: 9 March 2021