14 January 2019
CALL FOR PAPERS: OPEN FORUM AFRICA SECTION, 24-30 August 2019 in Athens, Greece
THEME: “Libraries at the center of community transformation”
The IFLA Africa Section invites Librarians, Information Scientists and other interested professionals to submit proposals for the Open Forum to be held during the 85th IFLA WLIC, in Athens, Greece, from 24-30 August 2019. In line with the Congress theme, “Libraries: dialogue for change”, the Africa Section is organising a Session on the theme of: “Libraries at the center of community transformation.”
African Libraries play a central role as in today’s information led economic, social and cultural development. Different types of libraries serve as “motors” that drive the creation; access and usage of information and knowledge needed for this societal transformation.
Africa section is inviting you to send in your projects, programmes, good practices to show case how Libraries play a central role in different dialogues on transformation of African societies.
- Libraries as agents of the 4th industrial revolution
- Libraries as motors of change in the LIS Sector
- Model change in your community- vehicle to change
- No Libraries no Change
- Professional volunteerism in Librarianship / libraries
- Libraries at the center of community transformation
- Libraries driving communities towards United Nations 2030 Agenda
The proposal must be the original work of the author(s) and should be written in either English or French. Each abstract must contain:
- Title of proposed presentation
- Outline of the proposed presentation (no more than 350 words)
- Name(s) of presenter(s)
- Position or title of presenter(s)
- Presenter(s) employer or affiliated institution
- Email address, Telephone/fax numbers
- Short biographical statement of the presenter/s, with digital photograph
Please email ABSTRACTS (Proposals) by 15 February 2019 to:
Dr Rosemary Shafack, Chair, IFLA Africa Section
Ms Nthabiseng Kotsokoane, Secretary, IFLA Africa Section
15 February 2019: Deadline for Submission of Abstracts
30 March 2019: Notification of acceptance/rejection of papers
30 June 2019: Deadline for Submission of Full Papers
All proposals will be evaluated by a refereeing team of the Standing Committee of the IFLA Africa Section.
At least one of the paper’s authors must be present to deliver a summary of the paper during the program in Athens. Abstracts should only be submitted with the understanding that the expenses of attending the conference will be the responsibility of the author(s)/presenter(s) of accepted papers.
Authors of accepted papers must complete the IFLA Authors’ Permission Form.
All expenses, including registration for the conference, travel, accommodation etc., are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA, but a special invitation letter can be issued to authors.
Congress Participation Grants
List of opportunities for support is available on the Conference Participation Grants webpage.