27 October 2016
Joint RISS/IT Satellite Meeting Call for Papers!
We are pleased to announce the call for papers for our joint RISS/IT satellite meeting in Warsaw, Poland 2017.
"Innovation and the User Experience: Evaluating and Implementing Discovery Systems"
15-17 August 2017
University of Warsaw, Warsaw Poland
As new discovery systems are being created to improve the user experience, co-operation between information technologists and reference/information services librarians is crucial if the implementation is to succeed. This satellite event will delve into this work from the perspective of information technology experts and the librarians using and teaching these tools in reference and information services environments. If you are implementing your own system or thinking of adopting an open source or vendor product, share your knowledge and experience by submitting a proposal to speak on the creation, implementation and use of discovery tools.
This meeting will explore the current work in the creation, implementation and use of discovery tools.
We are seeking papers on the following topics:
Implementing a new discovery system – tales from the field
- Deciding if a discovery system is right for your library
- Integrating a discovery search system into public services
- Information literacy and teaching new discovery systems
- Staff training and development processes and issues
- Collaboration between information services and information technology departments
- Communication issues between information services and information technology departments – “I said that really clearly, why does my counterpart not understand?”
- Writing an RFP
- Getting the requirements right
- Evaluating discovery systems
- Usability issues
- Bridging the cultural divide between user/public services and IT
- Adapting to changes in discovery systems (interface, ownership, other?)
- Tales from the public services trenches
- Implementing discovery systems in public and special libraries
- Locally managed/developed vs vendor supplied
- Using consultants
Preference will be given to joint IT and public services papers that address any of the above topics.
Proposals must be submitted via our online form at: https://goo.gl/sdbRn6 and must be original not have been published elsewhere.
Questions can be directed to:
Julie Biando Edwards
Important dates and timelines
|1 March 2017||Deadline for submitting Proposals for Papers|
|1 April 2017||Successful Speakers will be notified, and IFLA forms completed by RISS/IT and the Speakers|
|1 June 2017||
Deadline for submission of completed Papers and PowerPoint presentations to RISS/IT.
The presentation should be in English.
Both abstracts and full papers should be submitted as an MS Word file by email. Proposed papers must be original and not have been published elsewhere.
All proposals must be received by 1 March 2017.
At least one of the paper’s authors must be present to deliver a summary of the paper during the program of the Satellite Meeting.
Authors of accepted papers must complete the IFLA Authors’ Permission Form.
All expenses for attending the satellite meeting (eg. travel, accommodation, etc.) are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA.