Conference session: "If I was the director..."
24 August 2009
Theme: If I was the director..... – How to create/design/decorate libraries for children and young adults in the 21st century
Session 103 of the World Library and Information Congress: 75th IFLA General Conference and Assembly, 23-27 August 2009, Milan, Italy. General theme: "Libraries create futures: Building on cultural heritage".
How can a children's/young adults' library or area be designed in order to
- inspire creativity
- create spaces for play
- create spaces in which to socialise
- facilitate learning activities
- encourage reading
- ensure material is suitably displayed and stored
- generate interaction between the different media
- attract families and develop space for activities for parents and children/young adults together, for different groups of children, children of different ages and their parents.
The session covers the age range from 0–18, but will be divided into two separate 2 hour sessions. The first session will focus on 0-11 and the second session on 12-18 year olds.
Last update: 4 October 2012